last year d’bi had the honor of being invited to storytell at the INK conference…
The INK conference, in association with TED, is an annual conference that aims to fuel innovation and foster knowledge by bringing together the world’s most fascinating thinkers and doers on a global stage. The ideas that these speakers put forth are shared with the world, inspiring thought, conversation, and ultimately action. The INK conference, formerly TEDIndia, is TED’s partner conference in India.
Seeking justice at the frontlines of the AIDS crisis
Discrimination and inequality place a heavy burden on the African grandmothers who are struggling to support communities devastated by HIV and AIDS. African grandmothers deserve better—they deserve justice. The Stephen Lewis Foundation is hosting a people’s tribunal to shine a public light on the denial of their human rights, and to issue a call for action.
Six grandmothers from across sub-Saharan Africa will present their personal testimonies before the Tribunal’s judges: Gloria Steinem,Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond, Joy Phumaphi and Stephen Lewis.
The grandmothers will speak about the most pressing issues they face, such as property grabbing, loss of housing, sexual violence, and food and income insecurity. Based on their testimonies, the Tribunal will charta new path forward for advancing African grandmothers’ rights.
- Thulisile DladlaManzini, Swaziland
- Immaculate NakyanziKkingo, Uganda
- Mama ‘F’Harare, Zimbabwe
- Zodwa Hilda NdlovuDurban, South Africa
- Magret OngwenNyanza, Kenya
- Mariam MulindwaJinja, Uganda
- Gloria SteinemFeminist & activist
- Joy PhumaphiFormer Minister of Health, Botswana
- Mary Ellen Turpel-LafondBritish Columbia Representative for Children and Youth
- Theo SowaCEO, African Women’s Development Fund
- Siphiwe HlopheFounder & Director, Swaziland Positive Living
- Robina SsentongoExecutive Director, Kitovu Mobile AIDS Organization